[Campbell Biology P.1212] What pivotal experience initially sparked Dr. Chelsea Rochman's int... | Practice Question

What pivotal experience initially sparked Dr. Chelsea Rochman's interest in ecology and the impact of plastic pollutants?

  • A: A trip to the Great Pacific Garbage Patch.
  • B: Discovering microplastics in her own drinking water.
  • C: A marine biology class leading to a trip to an uninhabited island with plastic debris and harmed sea turtles.
  • D: Learning about microplastics found in human stool.

Explanation

The text states: 'But then I took a marine biology class, and I absolutely loved it. I switched to a biology major... While taking a course in ecology, we went to an island that was basically uninhabited. Even though there were so few people, there was debris all over the beach, and there were sea turtles harmed by plastic they had eaten. It was the first time I realized that there is a lot of plastic in the ocean and it was harming wildlife. I've never looked back—I've been working on this topic ever since.'