[Campbell Biology P.11] Which of the following correctly describes the general flow of elec... | Practice Question

Which of the following correctly describes the general flow of electrons in the linear electron transport chain of the light reactions of photosynthesis?

  • A: H2O -> Photosystem I -> Photosystem II -> ATP -> NADPH
  • B: Photosystem II -> Photosystem I -> H2O -> NADPH -> ATP
  • C: H2O -> Photosystem II -> Electron Transport Chain -> Photosystem I -> NADPH
  • D: Light -> ATP -> NADPH -> Electron Transport Chain

Explanation

The linear electron flow starts with water H2O being split at Photosystem II PSII , releasing electrons. These electrons then move through an electron transport chain including the cytochrome complex to Photosystem I PSI . Finally, electrons from PSI are used to reduce NADP+ to NADPH. ATP is generated concurrently as protons are pumped across the thylakoid membrane during electron transport.